Latest News & Updates for Members - January

UKV1197 - Derek Butterworth

Dear Members,

Happy New Year to all! Fly UK continues to grow and be an active place to enjoy Flight Simming. Our plans for 2017 will continue to build on our past success.

Once again, thank you for continuing to fly with us.

The past month was good in terms activity at Fly UK. An average of 371 unique pilots per week filed a PIREP in December. We received 2,639 Mainstream PIREPs, 971 Tour PIREPs and 600 Flying Club PIREPs. Membership numbers currently stand at 1,135

Staff Changes

Ian Beswick has joined the Training academy staff. He has been a senior controller on IVAO for many years and now wants to help our pilots progress their skills and help to develop a place where they can practice flying online in a controlled airspace without having to go on to the two big network systems of IVAO and VATSIM.

Operations

Our biggest change in the past month was the introduction of the 777F to the Cargo fleet. Popularity of the delivery flights was very high so we hope that the new type will increase the popularity of our Cargo division. January sees the ski season start to hit it's peak, so our winter holiday destinations are likely to be very popular.

With the recent changes in our use of the B737-700 and B737-800, we are getting a few PIREPs with the wrong aircraft being used. Please take a look at the fleet pages if you are unaware, or unsure of the changes.

Nordic Sky

Last month we saw the introduction of a new airframe, the Do228. The new plane has already proven popular in the filed PIREPs. It is available for flight from our base in Bergen and Tromso. In the future there will be more destinations for the Do228 with the goal of covering the whole of Norway; until then enjoy the current flights and the West and North of Norway.

Tours

December has seen the addition of the WorldFlight 2016 tour and the annual Christmas tour. The Christmas Cathedral Choirs tour is available for all ranks to fly all aircraft. This tour will be retired on 28 February 2017. Several new tours are currently under consideration and construction and expect to be rolled out over the next few months. Aircraft allocation to tours is under review with some alterations having already been made and a few more in the pipeline; these will reflect the reclassification of some aircraft and the introduction of new airframes.

Charters (Ad-Hoc)

The department has been extremely busy during the last few months preparing retirment flights and our Lapland flights. Alas most of our older fleet has now been retired. There are a few MD11F remaining and these will be retired during January: these flights will be posted shortly and expect to run until the end of the month. Our charter fleet will be getting new flights having finished the Lapland sectors, the new flights will be released in NOTAMs during early January.

Flying Club

Having just started as Flying Club Manager I am spending some time learning the ways of the club. I am very conscious that I have large boots to fill following on from Jim, of whom it would be remiss of me not to extend a large slice of gratitude for all his hard work. I would also like to pay special thanks to Clinton who does all the work keeping the clubs activities running, I really have had the easy bit, so far! Having now taken part in a fly-in and a few Wednesday evening group flights I would like to encourage anybody who has an interest in 'low and slow' to come along and join in, they really are a very friendly bunch...- Dave

Training Academy

Now fully staffed and waiting for your training requests, why not try them out in 2017?

Documentation Review

Look out for the new updated Pilots handbook, which should be available on the website soon

January Online Events

Events are held on IVAO, Saturday at 0700z and repeated on VATSIM, Tuesday at 1930z and Thursday at 1400z. The end figure for 2016 events was 682 pireps with 22 pireps being the highest weekly number.

LPPR - LXGB

Portugal to Gibraltar

EKVG - BIIS

Faroe Islands to Iceland

NCRG -NSTU

Cooks Island to Bora Bora

NTAA - NCRG

Tahitti to Cook Island

NCRG- NSTU

Cooks Island to Bora Bora

Please visit our online events page for more information or to register your attendance.

Screenshot Competition - Sponsored by UK2000 Scenery

Congratulations to UKV2949 - Pater Faase in the December Screenshot Competition. His winning shot "Fly UK is coming to town'' won him a UK2000 Xtreme scenery package. Well done!

The theme for the January Screenshot Competition is " Sunset ''. For more information and to the enter the competition, please see the link below:

January Competition - Sunset

---ENDS---

---ENDS---

Chris Sutcliffe - Chairman

chris.sutcliffe[at]flyuk.aero

Adam Hillier - Vice Chairman

adam.hillier[at]flyuk.aero

On behalf of the Fly UK Staff Team

• Like 1